Wednesday, May 30, 2007

So Much for Radishes

Talk about your global warming...

The radishes have started bolting and it isn't even summer yet. When they go to flower, the radishes turn tough and woody. Time to get them all out of the ground and start eating.

For that matter, all of my brassicas have bolted. That would include the mizunas, the mustard greens, the pac choi and tat soi. Even the Brussels sprouts, hardly more than juveniles, are sending up flowers.

The lettuces, thankfully, are still going strong. But for how long?

Is it possible to be so busy gardening you don't have any time to cook what you're growing?

That seems to be the case here. Time to get the tomato seedlings in the ground, plant more beans. I'm always a month behind it seems.

2 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

How long do your radishes keep after you pick them? I don't grow my own - but I buy a small bunch at local farmer's markets when the whim/taste strikes me. I find the toughest part about eating right as a single person is food spoilage/wastage before you can use it all.

WashingtonGardener said...

PS You are right on time from the tomato seedlings - don't let everyone else rush you or get too ahead of the season.