Friday, March 16, 2007

Curry-Roasted Cauliflower

I know, I just wrote about cauliflower. Or so it seems. But this treatment of cauliflower is so good I could not resist passing it on. I've been focused on cauliflower with my "food appreciation" classes at a private elementary school here in the District of Columbia. We made the cauliflower soup I described earlier. I usually do some baking with the older kids. Voila: curry-roasted cauliflower.

I consider it high praise whenever I get a thumbs up from someone who has not yet experienced puberty. The kids loved the cauliflower soup (well, most of them). And one of the 12-year-olds described the roasted cauliflower as "good as popcorn."


This is not so much a recipe as a treatment for cauliflower. There are only four ingredients, most of which you probably have already in your pantry. All you have to do is toss cauliflower florets with the seasonings and place them in a hot oven on a baking sheet. Within a half-hour or so, you will have the tastiest gold-brown florests you've ever experienced. And they do eat like popcorn. Serve them as a snack, or as a side dish, perhaps with the sweet-and-sour braised chicken I described in yesterday's post.


Serves Four


1 head cauliflower, washed and seperated into individual florets (if some of the florets are very large, cut them in half)


3 TBS extra-virgin olive oil


Curry powder to taste


Salt to taste


Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.


In a large bowl, toss the cauliflower florets with the olive oil. Sprinkle curry powder over the florets, tossing occasionally, until all of the florets are seasoned and fragrant. Season with salt.


Spread cauliflower florets on a baking sheet. Place in over and bake until florets are tender and lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments: