Friday, March 2, 2007

The New Phone Book is Here! The New Phone Book is Here!



The Slow Cook scored his first traditional media mention this week. The Washington Post Food Section, in its "Media Scan" column on page F3, took note of this blog and three others. Post editor Bonnie S. Benwick says the blog "celebrates food from local farms, what's growing in the back yard and recipes whose focus, as his URL name suggests, does not involve the quick route. Cultural tangents and recommended food-related reading are included."


Sounds pretty accurate. Could this possibly lead to a media crossover event, possibly The Slow Cook publishing an article in the Post's Food Section? Wait...I already did that. A lot.


Yes, if you've been following my career, you've noticed an unmistakably backward trajectory on my part. First I was a staff reporter for The Washington Post. Then I became a vastly-less-well-paid freelance writer for The Washington Post. Now I blog for no pay whatsoever, and merely wave at The Washington Post when I pass the building. In fact, the Food Section blurb now describes me as a "former contributor."


Looks like I've finally found my place...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the title of this piece. It's in our family lexicon for frequent use.

Congratulations, and keep up the VERY good work.

Ed Bruske said...

Thanks for visiting, Tana. I cannot claim credit for the title. I first heard this in a Steve Martin movie, I think it was "The Jerk." At a point in the film, he becomes ecstatic when the new phone book arrives and he sees his name in print for some time. The moment has stayed with me...

Anonymous said...

I just read the Post piece and logged on to find you. I'm interested in talking to you about Slow Food activities in the area. Is it possible to contact you through the blog? Thanks, Will.

Ed Bruske said...

You just contacted me, Will. You can also reach me by e-mail at www.euclidarms.com