Thursday, March 8, 2007

"Matanza" to Appear in Edible Chesapeake

For everyone who found my three postings on the pork matanza too wordy, take heart. A breezier version is scheduled to appear in the spring edition of the re-invigorated Edible Chesapeake magazine.

If you are familiar with Edible Chesapeake, you are already aware that the magazine is part of a group of "Edibles" around the country, including San Francisco, The Twin Cities, Coastal Maine and Brooklyn, to name a few. (Brooklyn? That's what I said: gimme some of that Brooklyn ethnic food, baby.)

The magazine covers the local food scene in depth, with lots of gorgeous photos, some of which you can sample by going to the mag's website at http://www.ediblechesapeake.com/. The Chesapeake version of Edible had lapsed. But it has a new publisher and editor, Renee Brooks Catacalos. Catacalos also is co-author of Local Mix, a biweekly newsletter about local food in the Maryland-DC region, and co-publisher of www.realpeopleeatlocal.com, a website that focuses on local food sources.

A mutual friend, Prince George's County farmer Mike Klein, put Renee and myself together. Mike helps run the Maryland Organic Food and Farming Association and is the source of some mighty good asparagus as well as a summer CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) subscription. (Note: he's the guy behind the turkeys pictured on the front of this blog. You can check out his stuff at http://www.localharvest.org/csadrops.jsp?id=7175.)

Edible Chesapeake is a quarterly publication. Annual subscriptions are $28. This is where you will find out what's really going on with local food in our region. Go ahead, people. Be readers. Support our local food producers.

7 comments:

MA said...

Oh great, Ed. Like I needed another project. Now I will have to figure out how to get all the locavores and gardeners together so we can do an Edible Idaho. What a great idea!

Ed Bruske said...

I think you need to look into this, Mary Ann. I would love to hear about Edible Idaho. Can we stark with elk sausage?

eloquentwoman said...

Thanks for the prompt, Ed -- I've just posted about EC and your article and blog at http://vegetablesforbreakfast.blogspot.com/2007/03/edible-chesapeake-local-food-source.html. I'm glad to see someone besides the Congress is making sausage locally!

Ed Bruske said...

And I am so glad to know there are more of us concerning ourselves with local food, Denise. Thanks for visiting and do stay in touch. Please keep us posted if you run across local news you think we should be posting here...

Anonymous said...

Hi Ed...that's good news but too late for me...I already did a bunch of cutting and pasting to get it into one file for my recipe folders...

..done, by the way, only AFTER I made it ...and got rave reviews, BTW...(took me 4 days, plus 2 days of pot-aging)...

thanks for a flavorful debut on my list of favorites...

best, Stephen

Anonymous said...

hey Ed...of course I was referring to the Provencal pork stew, not the pig killing...not much of that going on around here, now or in the future I'm pretty sure!

my bad...

best, Stephen

Ed Bruske said...

So, how would you organize a daube cook-off. Would we need four days of intermittent sight-seeing, wine drinking, gluttony. Maybe some cheese making while we're waiting. A kind of Iron Chef in unltra slo-mo...