Friday, August 22, 2008

Breakfast II

A previous commenter suggested adding toast to fill out our breakfast. Well, we can do lots better than toast. We can add homemade corn bread.

This is the "Company Cornbread" from Bill Neal's classic tome, "Biscuits, Spoonbread, and Sweet Potato Pie." I made it using stone-ground white cornmeal and buttermilk from our South Mountain Creamery delivery. I had also made a big pot of smothered okra the day before (the okra are going crazy producing new pods on a daily basis this time of year) and when breakfast time rolled around walked out out the front door and picked a big, ripe Mortgage Lifter tomato.

Preparation time: 5 minutes

Shopping: none

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much better. :)

Anonymous said...

I like quick corn cakes made with 1/2 cornmeal, 1/2 plain yogurt (or buttermilk), and a pinch of salt, baking soda, and (if you like), chili powder. Cook 'em like pancakes in a hot, hot, hot cast iron pan with plenty of oil.

Ed Bruske said...

Kat, my efforts are not intended to represent a complete and nutritious meal, only what I happened to make for myself. Feel free anytime to add your own heart's content.

Emily, the sounds like a classic corn cake. I'll bet it's good.