Monday, August 4, 2008

Something's In My Compost

We do our best to keep seeds out of the compost pile but something's always sprouting. Usually it's some kind of weed. We often see tomatoes. You can't hardly kill a tomato seed. But recently I noticed a melon vining it's way over the wire enclosure. Where did it come from? It must have been something we ate. But was it a farmers market melon, or a store-bought melon?

I was curious to see if it would set any fruit. So far we've seen plenty of blossoms and the vines are multiplying, spreading all over the yard. But nothing resembling a melon. I'm about ready to declare that this is simply one of those vampire melons, sucking all the nitrogen out of our compost heap and giving nothing in return.

Show us a melon, or it's into the compost with you!

6 comments:

Janet said...

I've never had luck growing food--except in my compost pile. One year I got a melon vine growing out of the side of it, and it did eventually bear one smallish cantaloupe. It was disappointingly lacking in flavor, alas. May yours be tastier!

Ed Bruske said...

Janet, I'm not waiting much longer before hacking up this vine and tossing it into the compost. You only get one chance to produce around here and you can't be growing all over the yard without contributing something.

Stacey said...

Yes! Let it grow. What a wonderful surprise.

WeekendFarmer said...

If the blossom is white...I am positive its a gourd plant and you should have some gourds soon. If it is a gourd -- the leaves are edible and tasty! (full of nutrients as well) Pass it by a oriental or indian friend for verification. If you post a picture of the blossom I can verify for you too.

WeekendFarmer said...

just saw the picture again and I am 97% sure it is edible leaves and it should be a gourd...the other 3% tells me it could be pumpkin or winter melon as well. laissez faire...you should have something growing on it soon.

Ed Bruske said...

Stacey, this plant just keeps getting bigger and bigger. I'm not sure our yard can accomodate it.

WF, we have finally found some growth around the buds and I'm pretty sure it's a butternut squash. I had not idea the leaves were edible. Thanks for the heads up on that.