Sunday, February 15, 2009

February Harvest Dinner

Here's some of the venison we recently received in trade with one of the neighbors for pickles and other preserves we put up in the summer.

Apparently the neighbors have family with a farm in southern Virginia and have been plying us with venison in exchange for our home-grown produce. What they are most interested in are tomatoes. So this year we will be installing a couple of tomato plants in the garden that they can harvest from any time they like. In the bargain, we get a steady supply of the venison they harvest on the farm.

Call it town meets country.

I didn't do anything special with these venison tenderloin. After defrosting them a few days ago, I just wanted to make sure they got eaten. Season with extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, grill on the Jennaire. I did have some leftover sauce from one meat dish or another to put a smile on that venison when it came to the table. The carrots and parsnips you see in the background are some of those recently harvested from the garden, roasted with thyme. Mashed potatoes round out the picture.

And I still have three portions of that tenderloin left over.

4 comments:

Peg A said...

Venison tenderloin is so wonderdul. I like to slice it into thick medallions and marinate it in a mix of olive oil, fresh garlic, salt, pepper and Guinness! Then flash-fry it in butter. I grew up eating it but since my dad passed away don't get to eat it as often. We got gifted with some recently, maybe I'll defrost some this week.

LG said...

What a wonderful resource to have! I grew up eating venison tenderloin sliced then dredged in flour and fried in butter. Not fancy or low-cal but it is delicious (and makes great gravy).

Ed Bruske said...

Peg, venison tenderloin in butter? Now you're talking.

Lisa, another version of venison in butter? I think I've been missing something.

Anonymous said...

Add me to the list! Vnison tenderloin: Quick fried in butter with very finely chopped shallots. Deglazed with red wine and a few drops of balsamic vinegar! Eaten raptuously.