Sunday, July 15, 2007

Where's the Garlic?

This morning saw a happy convergence of food activities.

The garlic we picked yesterday is still sitting on the front stoop. I have no idea whether to wash it or find some other way to remove the dirt. I am just that stupid about garlic. I asked my wife and was surprised to learn she didn't know either.

But I was determined to taste some of the garlic and it just so happened I was preparing to grill four chickens. I had removed the innards and divided the birds into pieces with my poultry shears, removing the backs. I had the good sense to put the backs in a pot to cook for chicken stock. I don't normally save the innards. It suddenly occurred to me, Why not eat them?

My breakfast therefore consisted of sauteeing the hearts and gizzards first, seasoned just with salt and pepper. I then added the livers and when they were lightly browned added a clove of my fresh garlic, finely chopped, and put a lid on the pan just until the garlic had cooked through. Finally I ramped up the heat, poured in a splash of Bordeaux (2004 St. Emilion) and let it rip until the wine was a sauce.

Into a bowl, with a shot of the Bordeaux. While the chicken grilled, I dug into the innards. Very fine. I suppose there are better forms of liver (calves liver, for instance) but for an improntu meal, the chicken livers did the job. The garlic--fresh and strong--was just the right touch. The only thing missing: a baguette to mop up the sauce.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The garlic should be left to cure, which means leave it dirty, out of the sun in a dry place. Hang it in a garage or basement if not too damp. It takes about 2 weeks to cure. Then you can trim the hairs on the bottom, and with a small nail brush or toothbrush loosen the dry outer skin a couple of layers deep. Try not to expose the garlic, you want to keep a decent layer of skin on the bulbs so they'll keep.

It looks like you may have picked it a little late. I did that last year and it didn't keep very long. Garlic needs to be picked when about 1/3 of the leaves have turned brown, but the rest is still green.

Good luck!

Ed Bruske said...

Great info, Kelly. Thanks. I will do that...

Anonymous said...

Other than I use white wine and end with a splash of Balsamic that's the perfect way to use up the innards! As for juice, I always leave just a tiny bit anyway, then I can yell "prewash" and wait for the Corgyn to arrive!

Ed Bruske said...

annamarie, I could definitely see the white wine and balsamic treatment.