Saturday, September 22, 2007

Green Tomato Pizza

Last night was pizza night, mainly because we've been collecting fresh mozzarella in the fridge and you don't want that to go bad before you can use it.



For one of the toppings, my wife made a trip to the garden and came back with a big green tomato. It sliced up nicely and made an astounding presentation. It was even better after it had cooked in the oven.



I may have mentioned that my wife makes the world's best pizza crust. It's part whole wheat. She was in a bit of a hurry tonight so she put the dough in the oven to rise. Then she rolls out a pie and cooks it in the oven till it's almost done without any topping. On go the toppings and cheese and back into the oven it goes until the cheese is adequately melted and gooey.



It's a fairly thin crust and that's the way I prefer it. I do not like bready pizza crusts. The green tomato pizza came out of the oven with just a bit of tang. The green tomatoes are surprisingly good, even after just a few minutes baking. We grated lots of Pecorino cheese over the whole thing.



There was a pepperoni pizza as well for my daughter (no green tomatoes for her) and finally a "white" pizza, meaning just the crust and cheese.



I'm looking forward to more green tomato's this fall. I grew so many tomato seedlings and I couldn't bear to throw any away. So I made cages for most of them and planted them all over the garden. The earliest have already got the wilt but are still producing. The youngest tomatoes are just now setting out fruit and the foliage is very robust, with big healthy leaves. I'm thinking we will have pickled green tomatoes and possibly more green tomato chutney this year.


Maybe even another green tomato pizza.

No comments: