Monday, October 22, 2007

Slow Cook on Video: Composting

I know this is the moment you've all been waiting for: The Slow Cook on film.

Earlier this year I agreed to shoot a series of short takes on the steps involved in composting here in my garden in the District of Columbia. They've been edited and made available free on-line by Kowlera Media as something called "Monkey See." It's like a video version of "About.com," covering every imaginable topic, only with moving graphics.

My part of the process was to write out a script and have everything ready to film when a young man from Kowlera Media showed up with his camera and remote microphone. We then filmed 15 clips: setting up a compost pile, what kinds of material to use, how composting works, how to use it in your garden, composters for urban settings and more.

This is the first time I've seen it since we did the filming--or should I say video-ing. It's pretty neat, and you can watch it all here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ed, What an excellent set of videos.i would recommend watching these for anyone wanting to make compost.
Sara from farmingfriends

Joanna said...

Love it Ed ... what a star ... I'm also amazed, as a European, at how much separates us, despite our "common" language ... I thought your surname was one syllable, and, here in England, we say compost with the same pronunciation of both the o's, as in the first one. But although it sounds like different stuff, your compo---st is the same as our compost - as you say, gardener's gold. Thanks, Ed.

Joanna

Ed Bruske said...

ff, I didn't have a teleprompter, so I don't even want to think about all the great information I forgot to mention in those videos. But it sure was fun....

Joanna, I was afraid the blog would lose something through these videos, and I'm sure to British readers a few notes hit the ear a bit funny.