Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Yesterday's Lunch

Proving once again that scrounging for leftovers can lead to a perfectly satisfying meal...

This tomato from the garden was just half of what was left from the night before and the fruit flies were determined to get it. You see it here cut into wedges, dressed with some Bulgarian Feta cheese that we've been whittling away at since the weekend.

Underneath is a quinoa pilaf with chickpeas and small dice of red onion, all left from making client meals on Saturday. I added some halved golden cherry tomatoes that are especially abundant in the garden just now, as well as some cilantro and freshly picked mint, everything seasoned with extra-virgin olive oil and a splash of white wine vinegar.

All this meal needs is a pinch of coarse salt and a grind or two of black pepper. To wash it down I poured a small bistro glass of my latest favoriet red wine, a 2006 Vina Borgia, 100 percent Grenache grapes from Spain, that is so drinkable and so conveniently priced for my budget--less than $6--that I bought a case of it at Whole Foods, something I almost never do.

I can't think of a better way to start the afternoon...

No comments: