Monday, December 17, 2007

Arlington Farmers Market

The farmers market next to the county courthouse in Arlington, just over the Potomac River from the District of Columbia, is one of the area's oldest. But I had never been before this weekend.



The market does not have a cozy feel at all--at least not this time of year. It's set up in a parking lot and is really cold when the winter wind blows.


Around 30 vendors congregate at the Arlington market during the regular season. But many of them close shop for the winter. I counted about a dozen hardy souls manning the booths.


Still, there was plenty to choose from. This woman had an impressive array of mushrooms...






We had to stop and admire them.



There was a full line of bread.



And many different kinds of preserves.

Meats, too.



We bought a jar of blueberry syrup and some apple cider from D&S Farm in St. Mary's County, MD.



We couldn't resist the honey-flavored yogurt from Blue Ridge Dairy.



I really wanted to buy some turnips, but the closest I could get was this lovely Savoy cabbage.



The beets were quite handsome.


The vegetable empanada was exquisite.

6 comments:

Pattie Baker said...

Ed: Wow. We're lucky if we have a dozen vendors during the height of the season. Don't take this for granted!

Ed Bruske said...

Pattie, I'm not so much bemoaning the smaller number of vendors as noting with emphasis what happens at the farmers market when winter sets in. For one, I think it's important for all local food advocates to absorb the impact of seasonality on local food production. Secondly, I think people need to take a look at the infrastructure provided for local food. Personally, I think we need indoor facilities and possibly a co-op arrangement so that local farmers can sell there goods in comfort in the winter and perhaps on a regular basis, not just for a few very chilly hours one day a week.

Pattie Baker said...

I'm with ya'!

Pattie Baker said...

I'm with ya'!

Ramona said...

Arlington market was a bit empty on Saturday. I got there around 9am and was surpised at the gaps between vendors. But, despite the cold if the vendors can be there, so can I. I picked up sourdough from Atwater and lamb chops from Eco-Friendly.
I am very appreciative that we have this and Dupont throughout the year. Meanwhile awaiting the ramps of Spring....

Ed Bruske said...

Ramona, the market did look a bit desolate, but as you say, there were plenty of good things for purchase.