Saturday, January 5, 2008

Breakfast

Cabbage and cauliflower soup.

Preparation time: 5 minutes

Shopping: none

I made this soup some weeks back while cleaning out the crisper drawer: Half a cabbage, a wedge of red cabbage, some cauliflower, carrots. I used cider vinegar to kick up the flavor.

Because of the red cabbage, the soup took on a color resembling dirty dish water, so I never considered it ready for prime time. This is just one of those homely soups you keep in the freezer and serve to family as the need arises. Or perhaps one of those soups you eat yourself, since no one else in the house seems interested in cabbage soup that looks like dirty dish water.

4 comments:

WashingtonGardener said...

You must have a cast-iron stomach, Ed! Mine certainly could not handle this dish - esp. first thing in the AM!

Diana Dyer said...

Ed,
Some of my "clean out the frig dishes" have had that non-pizzazzy color, too (yes, like dirty dishwater!), and I also can hear myself saying to my family "No problem if you don't really like it, I'll eat it all myself" - usually cheerfully because the concoction tastes great, but just has that rather sad appearance.

I guess my stomach is also made of cast-iron because I could easily eat this soup first thing in the AM. I'll count myself lucky to have so many food options.

David Hall said...

And nothing wrong with that Ed! Soups are there to use up itmes of the fridge, we do it all of the time.

Cheers
David

Ed Bruske said...

Kathy, I guess I do have a cast-iron stomach because I will eat almost anything and in fact relish foods that most people would never consider. Brassicas are among my favorites.

Diana and David, thanks for the encouragement. It's good to know there are like-minded others in the world who see a bounty to be savored and not just a mess needing cleaning when they open their fidge.