Monday, January 14, 2008

January Farmers Market

Here we are in the depth of winter. Most of the farmers markets in the District of Columbia are closed. But the Dupont Circle market, in the heart of the city, is jammed with vendors and customers on a Sunday morning when temperatures climb into the 50s. No shortage of fresh produce here. Look at these stunning parsnips.

There are all kinds of prepared foods at the market now--crab cakes, soups, pies. You can also find every kind of meat and poultry--leg of lamb, pork roast, grass-fed beef steaks, even buffalo burgers and buffalo sausages. But what impressed me most were the crowds, the frenzy of activity. Everywhere people were waiting in line to make their purchases.

The line for yogurt...

The line for bread....


The line for greens

The produce is highly photogenic. Here are squashes in all shapes and colors

Lots of apples


An impressive display of mushrooms

Even fresh shucked oysters from the Chesapeake Bay. These are great days for sourcing local foods. But for how much longer? We'll continue to check on a weekly basis and report.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great dose of optimism for me on this cloudy, cold Monday in Wisconsin!

Those lines are incredible!!!!

I wonder how much of this is the Power of Pollan (Michael)?

Anonymous said...

What a coincidence . . . you caught the back of me in your pic of Buster's Seafood stand . . . while I was taking a pic for my blog. I bought some oysters at Buster's, along with a bunch of other food, which I turned into a great meal last night. Yep . . . the Dupont Circle farmers market is still rockin'!

Trevor said...

I just found a nice winters farmers market in my area as well.

kelly said...

great stuff!

Ed Bruske said...

Rob, the lines were incredible. I would have bought more stuff, but the crowds deterred me. I ended up just snapping a bunch of photos after I bought my eggs.

Nice blog, Food Rockz Man, and a really interesting coincidence. I stopped in front of the oysters for about two seconds, never noticed you were taking photos as well.

Trevor, I hope you will be posting about your winter farmers market. You are pretty far north. I'd be very curious to know what they are selling this time of year.

Kelly, thanks for visiting. Don't be a stranger...

Anonymous said...

Wow! Does anyone know of a winter farmer's market in uppper Montgomery County?

Ed Bruske said...

Anonymous, you can do a google search for farmer's markets in your area. But I do not believe there is one open in winter in upper Montgomery County. Have you tried the Amish market out near Germantown?