Saturday, March 1, 2008

Dark Days: Sweet Potato Galette


A potato galette traditionally is made with standard potatoes. But I thought, Why not sweet potatoes? We love sweet potatoes--they are so nutritious and full of flavor--and we often get them in our CSA box from our farmer friend Brett. These were purchased at the Dupont Circle Farmers Market last Sunday.

To make the galette, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Coat the bottom of a well-seasoned, cast-iron skillet with extra virgin olive oil and place it over moderate heat. Peel the potatoes and slice them into thin rounds. (A mandoline makes quick work of this.) Shingle the rounds to cover the bottom of the skillet. The bottom-most potatoes will begin to cook and brown while you are assembling the rest. Between each layer, I dot the potatoes with cooked greens like these that came in our weekly CSA box.

I also like to alternate layers of cheese. I've used a soft Gorgonzola in the past. But for a strictly local galette, I bought a piece of blue goat's milk cheese from Firefly Farms in Bittinger, MD. Firefly is one of the regular vendors at the Dupont Circle market. Between each layer, after you've capped it off with more potatoes, press down very firmly with a flat object, such as a pot lid or another skillet. Then season with olive oil, salt and black pepper.


I usually continue layering the galette until the skillet is nearly filled to the top. Place in the oven and bake until the potatoes are easily pierced with a metal trussing skewer, about 20 minutes. Remove the skillet and allow the galette to cool. To remove the galette from the skillet, use a knife or spatula to cut around the edge, then invert onto a large plate or cutting board.

This galette is delicious warm or even at room temperature, and it can easily be made ahead and reheated. The sweetness of the potatoes seems to meld exceptionally well with the pungency of the cheese and the pleasant bitterness of the greens. Try it with your favorite local salad and a crisp glass of Chablis. Or if you've got a particular hankering for meat, this galette would be an ideal partner for a juicy pork roast.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your galette looks delicious! I would never have thought to add greens as a layer, but the combination of sweet potatoes, greens, and soft cheese sounds wonderful. My only thought is, how do you get it to cook without drying out? Longer baking time at lower temp? Cover pan with foil? It doesn't seem like the sweet potatoes would contain enough moisture to end up looking as great as your photos.

I'm salivating, here.

Ed Bruske said...

Ellen, I've never had a problem with them drying out. There may be more moisture in sweet potatoes than you think.

MA said...

Very well. I know what I have to make for dinner. Thanks, Ed.

Anonymous said...

Ed, this looks fabulous! Makes me want to plant sweet potatoes...

Ed Bruske said...

Mary Ann, is it spring in Idaho yet? I think I'll be having this for dinner as well.

Melinda, we are on the same wavelength. I planted sweet potatoes for the first time last year, and all I have to say is, More Sweet Potatoes!

Green Bean said...

Oh my goodness! That looks beyond delicious. I'll definitely have to give it a go. Thank you for the inspiration.